Hanging baskets are a popular and trendy way to add greenery to any space, whether it’s a small apartment balcony or a large backyard patio. Not only do they save valuable floor space, but they also add visual interest and a sense of movement to a garden.
When it comes to choosing plants for hanging baskets, there are a few key factors to consider. First and foremost, it’s important to choose plants that are well-suited to the growing conditions in your specific location, including the amount of sunlight, temperature, and humidity. In general, plants that do well in hanging baskets tend to be trailing or climbing varieties that can cascade over the sides of the basket.
Some popular choices for hanging baskets include:
- Petunias: Petunias are a classic choice for hanging baskets, thanks to their showy blooms and trailing habit. They come in a wide range of colours, including pink, purple, red, and white.
- Fuchsias: Fuchsias are another great option for hanging baskets, with their delicate, bell-shaped flowers and lush green foliage. They prefer partial shade and cool temperatures.
- Ivy: Ivy is a versatile trailing plant that can add a lush, natural look to any hanging basket. It’s also a great choice for those who want to add some greenery to a shady spot in the garden.
- Calibrachoa: Calibrachoa, also known as “million bells,” are small petunia-like flowers and trailing habit. They’re available in a wide range of colours and are known for their non-stop blooming throughout the summer.
- Trailing succulents: Trailing succulents like string of pearls and string of fishhooks are a great choice for hanging baskets, thanks to their unique appearance and low-maintenance care requirements.
In conclusion, hanging baskets are a trendy and versatile way to add greenery to any space. When it comes to choosing plants for hanging baskets, it’s important to consider the growing conditions in your specific location, as well as the overall look and feel you’re trying to achieve. Whether you’re looking for showy blooms, lush foliage, or unique textures, there’s a hanging basket plant out there that will suit your needs perfectly.